Thursday, August 28, 2008

awkward questions.

i read these two blog posts (one and two) today about godly friends and tough questions we need to be asking each other.. here's some excerpts:

"Hebrews 3:13 says, ” But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” Godly friends exhort one another to pursue godliness. They ask tough, awkward, probing questions that dig deep into the heart and expose sinful desires. Truly godly friends aren’t afraid to get down and dirty.

Why do godly friends exhort each other? Why do my godly friends ask me tough questions about my struggles with sin? Because they care for me, and they don’t want me to be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

Sin is deceitful, and many times we fail to see our sin accurately. For example, I recently confessed to the guys in my small group that I had been struggling with worry. Thanks to their insightful, and awkward questions, they were able to help me see that my sin went deeper than just worry. I was failing to trust God, and I was being self-sufficient. Their exhortation helped me to see my sin as it truly was. Godly friends help each other see their sin accurately by asking tough questions."

my prayer lately has been to have the courage to be vulnerable, and to expose my sins, because ultimately i know this is the best thing for me--and one of the ways the Lord's goodness blesses me over and over again. i see myself so easily hardened by my sin, and i want to fight that. i want to be faithfully pursuing the Lord, and i want to be pointing my friends towards the Lord. check out the original posts for some good starter questions.



[p.s. the next men and women post is coming soon, i promise! still in draft stages.]