Sunday, November 30, 2008

Study: Unhappy people watch more TV

not that this is a huge surprise, but a study came out that directly correlates TV watching with unhappiness. read it here. i still think when i have kids that i don't really even want a TV in the house at all.

and here's some excerpts:

"An extensive new research study has found that unhappy people watch more TV while those consider themselves happy spend more time reading and socializing.

The University of Maryland analyzed 34 years of data collected from more than 45,000 participants and found that watching TV might make you feel good in the short term but is more likely to lead to overall unhappiness.

Concludes the study: "These points have parallels with addiction; since addictive activities produce momentary pleasure but long-term misery and regret. People most vulnerable to addiction tend to be socially or personally disadvantaged, with TV becoming an opiate."

2 comments:

abby! said...

What if it's not that TV causes unhappiness but unhappy people watch more TV to escape from their unhappy lives? I feel like it could go either way...

Anonymous said...

i feel like those two things dont have to correlate. Just because a person watches a lot of T.V doesnt mean they are unhappy. I am a T.V watcher. I would of course choose hanging out with other people if the option is given but I still love to watch specific shows. I dont consider myself unhappy. Maybe its because I spend more time in my books and with people than I do watching T.V but something about this study makes me say...."thats not the case for everyone". My family socialized and spent time toghether by watching movies or shows together, its how I grew up....and I love it!

This is Candace by the way, I just cant remember my password so I had to be anonymous :)