Sunday, May 4, 2008

Books can Change our Destiny.

It's true. I really think the impressions that books make on us happen because we identify so strongly with a character. They lead us to change our wardrobe, appearance, or destiny. I have no doubt that my early days of spying on people with my black notebook and pencil was because I wanted to be just like Harriet the Spy. After we read it, my sister and I would sit on my top bunk bed (bunk beds were soo cool) and write in our notebooks about people in the neighborhood--who could be the neighbor that houses deadly weapons? Or who secretly has a crush on the mailman? Better yet, I bet Mrs. G has buried treasure under her flowerbeds. I was just trying to make sense of life's absurdities, right? But it was all so real. And I think that's why I really love books--because they hold a power over us that nothing else can, especially when real life just doesn't measure up.

No comments: