Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Introverts and Extroverts in the Church

Anthony Bradley posted a really interesting blog post mostly about introverts in the church.
I'm still in the process of thinking this through but Reformed theology draws introverts primarily and engages spirituality in a very introverted way some would say. Introverts do not typically live missional lives because they would rather read theology books than talk to non-Christians about the gospel or engage local culture with the Kingdom as some might argue.

Many would argue that introverts will want small churches (and will baulk at the suggesting that the church be otherwise), not care so much about being local missionaries, prefer "studying and teaching" over discipleship, see the church as a refuge and haven from the world, will be largely sectarian, will equivocate "kingdom" and "church," will do college ministry not directed at reaching non-Christians and/or bringing shalom to the campus, talk about being "missional" at not live that way at all, prefers blogging over talking to real people, etc.

the points he makes are really interesting, but i think he only hits on one side of the issue. someone commented:
Speaking as an introvert, I don't know that we can glean a whole lot from that one aspect of personality. True, I think it is fair to say that introverts tend to reflection and extroverts to action, but neither personality type does one or the other exclusively.

Many of the most missional pastors/thinkers around are introverts: Tim Keller, Greg Johnson, George Stulac, Nelson Jennings, just to name a few.

I think when you get into the extremes of each personality, you get problems with the kind of thing you are talking about. Like I said, I'm an introvert, but I also have a passion to live missionally. My introversion, though, makes me want to have a good theoretical base for my missional superstructure.

check out the whole thing, and be sure to read the comment discussion at the end.

5 comments:

Christine said...

What do you think about this Col?

colleen marie. said...

I think that Anthony is accurate in a lot of ways, in that he definitely makes some good points and gives a lot of things to think about, but I don't think you can simply say to someone, "You're an introvert so you're out." I consider myself an introvert and there are for sure ways in which I have to watch myself; when I'm around a lot of people I know that I'm going to have to recharge and re-energize later, but that doesn't mean I'm only reading books all of the time and never talking to people. I don't think there is a basis for saying that people who are missional are people who are extroverted. In the second paragraph that I quoted, I don't feel like those arguments describe me at all. An introvert is not the only thing that describes me.

colleen marie. said...

I think also that your beliefs will ultimately rule how you live--personality types dictate how that belief is played out. Though I definitely agree with being "missional," my strength isn't necessarily in hanging out with large groups of people, but it is in discipleship. I think that's what the body of Christ is for. There are differences, but those differences are a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link